Saturday, June 14, 2008

Turning 30: Another corner, another bum

Ten years ago, I was a couple of weeks shy of turning 20. I was looking forward to kissing the teenage years goodbye, but not the teenage girls. The advent of a new era inspired me. The dreams and goals that had long seemed so far away, were now not so distant. Brimming with confidence, head up high approaching another corner; never even noticed the bum.

Time definitely was not even a slight consideration. Turning 20, a whole new world was yet to be discovered. A new decade that was destined to be filled with momentous events and celebrations. So much to look forward to - 21st, 25th bday hoorahs! Graduating college. Perhaps attending and completing grad school. Marriage. Kids. Rewind - how about traveling the world to exotic locations. Making new friends and new memories. Meeting new people all ready to conquer the world and forging alliances that would last a lifetime. So much good yet to transpire. All rest areas to look forward to along the journey.

Fast forward to now and turning 30 sure doesn't feel anything like that. It's as if it's another corner, another bum. The magic that accompanied the innocence a decade ago, is now a jaded burn that results from too much exposure to disappointment. Older and wiser sure seems to be a popular consolation reference. Of course the rugrats doing the consoling are in their mid-20's. They still have wind in their sails, afloat in temperate waters. The chagrin on the face of those who already turned the corner and passed the bum, is validation that what's about to happen is not so positive. Sure there's plenty of future ahead. Of course looking 10 blocks down and seeing 40 can bring a fella down pretty quick. Head down and spiritless they missed the bum entirely.

Having been walking for 10 blocks, there's been ample time for reflection. About to turn this corner and about to pass another bum. But it's not about me any more. It's about something bigger. There is a bigger world out there and there is a lot of change that needs to be implemented. The world is need of selfless leaders. It's the courage of those who battle through experiences and learn from them that make this world a better place. Inspired by those many who have walked this road before, it's imperative to stop and notice the bum on the corner. Turning 30, I'm turning a corner. Walking away from an era when it was all about me. It's about others now. It's about making a difference. Having had my head in the clouds, and my head in my ass; I'll opt to keep my head straight as I approach this turn. Surely I'll notice the bum and I'll buy him a coffee. Because it's not about me any more. It's time I stop and hold my breath as I notice the bum.

1 comment:

The Indian Guy said...

Nice article. However, knowing you as long as I've known you older and wiser definately do describe you as you hit 30. Congrats on the first one, and keep em coming!

Counter